Regional Pest Management Plan (RPMP) status
- Aotea — Eradication
- Whole region — Sustained control
- Hauraki Gulf Controlled Area Notice pest
Deciduous shrub < 3 m tall. Flowers are yellow, pea-like and borne in loose racemes during summer/autumn. Seed pods are < 9 x 5 cm and flattened.
What you need to know
To help protect our environment:
- you must not breed, distribute, release or sell Spanish broom on Aotea / Great Barrier Island group
- you must not plant Spanish broom on Aotea / Great Barrier Island group.
From 1 September 2021, you:
- will not be allowed to breed, distribute, release or sell Spanish broom within the Auckland region
- will not be allowed to plant Spanish broom within the Auckland region, unless you are transferring an existing plant on your land to another location within the boundaries of the same property
- must destroy any Spanish broom on land that you occupy if it has been planted in breach of the above rules and you are directed to do so by an authorised person.
Auckland Council will control Spanish broom at all sites within the Aotea / Great Barrier Island group where it is known to occur.
If you see Spanish broom anywhere on Aotea / Great Barrier Island group, please report it to Auckland Council at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disturbed sites, hill country, pasture, cliffs, roadsides, riparian margins.
Seeds dispersed by gravity and soil movement.
Impact on environment
Forms dense stands, reducing native vegetation cover. Nitrogen fixer. May alter plant community composition and facilitate exotic plant invasions.
Follow up treated areas 3 times per year. Encourage natural regeneration of native plants or replant treated areas where possible after 2-3 treatments to establish dense ground cover and minimise reinvasion.
Do not attempt to undertake control of this species on Aotea / Great Barrier Island group. Please report to Auckland Council if seen on Aotea/Great Barrier Island group.
Method: Dig out.
Plant parts requiring disposal: Seeds.
Disposal options: Remove to greenwaste or landfill if practical.
Biocontrol is currently not available for this species.
Community agrichemical control recommendations
No qualifications: Cut stump and paste freshly cut base of stems with metsulfuron gel.
Basic Growsafe certified: Cut stump and spray freshly cut base with 1g metsulfuron-methyl per 1 L of water.
Certified Handler/Experienced agrichemical user: Foliar spray with 5g metsulfuron-methyl per 10L of water and 20ml penetrant.
Caution: When using any herbicide or pesticide please read the label thoroughly to ensure that all instructions and safety requirements are followed.