Origin: South Africa
Regional Pest Management Plan (RPMP) status
- Hauraki Gulf Controlled Area Notice pest
- Whole region — Sustained control
Perennial scrambling herb < 2 m tall. Leaves are < 6 x 5 cm, arrow-shaped and toothed. Flowers are yellow and borne in clusters March – August. Seeds are fluffy.
What you need to know
To help protect our environment:
- You must not breed, distribute, release or sell Cape ivy within the Auckland region.
- You must not plant Cape ivy within the Auckland region, unless you are transferring an existing plant on your land to another location within the boundaries of the same property.
- You must destroy any Cape ivy on land that you occupy if it has been planted in breach of the above rules and you are directed to do so by an authorised person.
Coastal habitats, cliffs, sand dunes, grassland, scrub, forest and riparian margins, wasteland.
Seeds dispersed by wind. Vegetative spread from runners. Human-mediated dispersal through dumping of garden waste.
Impact on environment
Forms dense scrambling thickets, smothering and outcompeting native vegetation. May obstruct access to recreational areas.
Cut and pull vines away from desirable trees and native plants before foliar spraying. Follow up treated areas 3 times per year. Encourage natural regeneration of native plants or replant treated areas where possible after 2-3 treatments to establish dense ground cover and minimise reinvasion.
Method: Dig out.
Plant parts requiring disposal: All parts.
Disposal options: Remove to greenwaste or landfill if practical.
Biocontrol is currently not available for this species.
Community agrichemical control recommendations
No qualifications: Cut stump and paste freshly cut base of stems with glyphosate gel or cut stump and spray freshly cut base with 100ml glyphosate green per 1L of water.
Certified Handler/Experienced agrichemical user: Foliar spray with 100ml glyphosate green per 10L of water and 20ml penetrant.
Caution: When using any herbicide or pesticide please read the label thoroughly to ensure that all instructions and safety requirements are followed.