Selaginella martensii, S. moellendorffii, S. uncinata
Regional Pest Management Plan (RPMP) status
- Whole region — Sustained control
- Hauraki Gulf Controlled Area Notice pest
Creeping, rhizomatous, perennial fern allies. Stems are irregular, branched and bear glossy, green, scale-like leaves/microphylls.
What you need to know
To help protect our environment, from 1 September 2021, you:
- will not be allowed to breed, distribute, release or sell Selaginella spp. within the Auckland region.
- will not be allowed to plant Selaginella spp. within the Auckland region, unless you are transferring an existing plant on your land to another location within the boundaries of the same property.
- must destroy any Selaginella spp. on land that you occupy if it has been planted in breach of the above rules and you are directed to do so by an authorised person.
Forest, riparian areas, nurseries, hothouses, gardens.
Produces spores. Vegetative spread from fragments. Spores and fragments dispersed by footwear, animals, dumping of garden waste and movement of soil and water.
Impact on environment
Forms dense mats, potentially excluding native ground cover plants and preventing native seedling establishment.
Follow up treated areas 3 times per year. Encourage natural regeneration of native plants or replant treated areas where possible after 2-3 treatments to establish dense ground cover and minimise reinvasion.
Method: Pull out or cover with black plastic or weedmat for 3 to 6 months.
Plant parts requiring disposal: All parts.
Disposal options: Remove to landfill.
Biocontrol is currently not available for this species.
Community agrichemical control recommendations
For small infestations: Foliar spray with 10ml glyphosate green per 1L of water.
Basic Growsafe certified:
For medium to large infestations: Foliar spray with 100ml glyphosate green per 10L of water.
Certified Handler/Experienced agrichemical user: Foliar spray with 100ml glyphosate green and 2g metsulfuron-methyl per 10L of water and 20ml penetrant.
Caution: When using any herbicide or pesticide please read the label thoroughly to ensure that all instructions and safety requirements are followed.