Regional Pest Management Plan (RPMP) status
- Whole region — Sustained control
- Hauraki Gulf Controlled Area Notice pest
Shrub or small tree to 3–7 m tall. Differs from other Psidium species by the number of secondary veins (10–15 pairs), solitary flowers and linear bracts. Fleshy fruit can be yellow, white, pink, orange.
What you need to know
To help protect our environment, from 1 September 2022, you:
- will not be allowed to breed, distribute, release or sell tropical guava within the Auckland region. This restriction includes all varieties of P. guava.
- will not be allowed to plant tropical guava within the Auckland region, unless you are transferring an existing plant on your land to another location within the boundaries of the same property.
- must destroy any tropical guava on land that you occupy if it has been planted in breach of the above rules and you are directed to do so by an authorised person.
Forest margins, scrub, disturbed forest, pasture, dry habitats.
Seeds dispersed by birds and pigs. Vegetative spread from suckering.
Impact on environment
May exacerbate impacts from animal pests such as possums and feral pigs by providing an important food source.
Follow up treated areas 3 times per year. Encourage natural regeneration of native plants or replant treated areas where possible after 2-3 treatments to establish dense ground cover and minimise reinvasion.
Method: Dig out.
Plant parts requiring disposal: Seeds.
Disposal options: Remove to greenwaste or landfill if practical.
Biocontrol is currently not available for this species.
Community agrichemical control recommendations
No qualifications: Cut stump and paste freshly cut base of stems with metsulfuron gel. Large stems can be frilled and pasted with metsulfuron gel.
Basic Growsafe certified: Cut stump and spray freshly cut base with 5g metsulfuron-methyl per 1 L of water. Remove cut stems to greenwaste or landfill or stack in a pile and spray.
Certified Handler/Experienced agrichemical user: Foliar spray with 5g metsulfuron-methyl per 10L of water and 20ml penetrant.
Caution: When using any herbicide or pesticide please read the label thoroughly to ensure that all instructions and safety requirements are followed.