Origin: South America
Regional Pest Management Plan (RPMP) status
- Whole region — Sustained control
- Hauraki Gulf Controlled Area Notice pest
Vigorous perennial liana. Leaves are < 22 x 17 cm, ovate and entire. Flowers are showy, white with purple/pink, < 12 cm in diameter and borne in summer. Fruits are obovoid, < 9 x 5.5 cm, green ripening to yellow/orange/purple, often speckled and borne in autumn-winter.
What you need to know
To help protect our environment:
- You must not breed, distribute, release or sell yellow passionfruit within the Auckland region.
- You must not plant yellow passionfruit within the Auckland region, unless you are transferring an existing plant on your land to another location within the boundaries of the same property.
- You must destroy any yellow passionfruit on land that you occupy if it has been planted in breach of the above rules and you are directed to do so by an authorised person.
Seeds dispersed by mammals, humans and possibly birds. Vegetative spread from stem fragments.
Impact on environment
Suppresses vegetation growth. Potential to compete with native vegetation and provide food resource to invasive mammals.
Cut and pull vines away from desirable trees and native plants before foliar spraying. Follow up treated areas 3 times per year. Encourage natural regeneration of native plants or replant treated areas where possible after 2-3 treatments to establish dense ground cover and minimise reinvasion.
Method: Cut vines and leave upper stems to die in trees or dig out.
Plant parts requiring disposal: All parts (except vines if left to die in trees).
Disposal options: Compost in a composting weed bag or remove to greenwaste or landfill.
Biocontrol is currently not available for this species.
Community agrichemical control recommendations
For small infestations: Cut stump and paste freshly cut base of stems with metsulfuron gel.
Basic Growsafe certified:
For small infestations: Cut stump and spray freshly cut base of stems with 1g metsulfuron-methyl per 1L of water. Cut vines at waist height and foliar spray vines on the ground with 0.5g metsulfuron-methyl per 1L of water.
Certified Handler/Experienced agrichemical user:
For medium to large infestations: Cut vines at waist height and foliar spray vines on the ground with 5g metsulfuron-methyl per 10L of water and 20ml penetrant.
Caution: When using any herbicide or pesticide please read the label thoroughly to ensure that all instructions and safety requirements are followed.