Regional Pest Management Plan (RPMP) status
- Whole region — Sustained control
- Hauraki Gulf Controlled Area Notice pest
Perennial shrub < 3 m tall. Leaves are grey-green with silky undersides. Flowers are yellow, pea-like, < 18 mm long and borne in inflorescences < 30 cm long in October – May. Seed pods are < 8 cm long.
What you need to know
To help protect our environment, from 1 September 2021, you:
- will not be allowed to breed, distribute, release or sell tree lupin within the Auckland region.
- will not be allowed to plant tree lupin within the Auckland region, unless you are transferring an existing plant on your land to another location within the boundaries of the same property.
- must destroy any tree lupin on land that you occupy if it has been planted in breach of the above rules and you are directed to do so by an authorised person.
Open and well-drained habitat, coastal areas, sand dunes, riverbeds, wasteland, cliffs.
Seeds dispersed by explosive dehiscence, water, soil movement.
Impact on environment
Alters dune plant community composition and reduces native plant abundances. Nitrogen fixer. May alter nutrient cycling and facilitate establishment and seed set of exotic plants.
Follow up treated areas 3 times per year. Encourage natural regeneration of native plants or replant treated areas where possible after 2-3 treatments to establish dense ground cover and minimise reinvasion.
Method: Dig out.
Plant parts requiring disposal: Seeds.
Disposal options: Remove to greenwaste or landfill if practical.
Biocontrol is currently not available for this species.
Community agrichemical control recommendations
No qualifications: Cut stump and paste freshly cut base of stems with double strength glyphosate gel. Cut stump and spray freshly cut base with 200ml glyphosate green per 1L of water.
Certified Handler/Experienced agrichemical user: Foliar spray with 100ml glyphosate green per 10L of water and 20ml penetrant.
Caution: When using any herbicide or pesticide please read the label thoroughly to ensure that all instructions and safety requirements are followed.