Origin: Central and South America
Regional Pest Management Plan (RPMP) status
- National Pest Plant Accord Species
- Whole region — Progressive containment, land occupier rules
Aromatic, prickly shrub < 3 m tall. Flowers are small, pink/yellow/orange and borne in inflorescences. Fruit is blue/black and borne in berry-like clusters.
What you need to know
To help protect our environment:
- You must not breed, distribute, release or sell lantana. As lantana is a National Pest Plant Accord species, these restrictions apply within the Auckland region and across the whole of New Zealand.
- You must not plant lantana within the Auckland region.
- You must destroy all lantana plants on the land you are occupying if it is within rural Auckland.
If you see lantana anywhere in rural Auckland, please report it to Auckland Council at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Coastal scrubland, cliffs, foreshores, consolidated dunes, forest margins, grassland, wasteland, plantations, gardens.
Seeds dispersed by birds.
Impact on environment
Potential to alter vegetation structure in open or low-stature plant communities. Reduces pasture productivity and is toxic to livestock.
Follow up treated areas 3 times per year. Encourage natural regeneration of native plants or replant treated areas where possible after 2-3 treatments to establish dense ground cover and minimise reinvasion.
Do not attempt to undertake control of this species in rural areas. Please report to Auckland Council.
Method: Dig out.
Plant parts requiring disposal: Seeds.
Disposal options: Remove to greenwaste or landfill if practical.
Check for presence of agents:
- Lantana leaf rust (Prospodium tuberculatum).
- Lantana blister rust (Puccinia lantanae).
For more information about how biocontrol works, see What is biocontrol?
Community agrichemical control recommendations
No qualifications: Cut stump and paste freshly cut base of stems with double strength glyphosate gel. Foliar spray with 100ml glyphosate green per 10L of water.
Certified Handler/Experienced agrichemical user: Foliar spray with 100ml glyphosate green per 10L of water and 20ml penetrant.
Caution: When using any herbicide or pesticide please read the label thoroughly to ensure that all instructions and safety requirements are followed.