Origin: Eurasia, North Africa
Regional Pest Management Plan (RPMP) status
- Whole region — Sustained control
- Hauraki Gulf Controlled Area Notice pest
Tufted perennial sedge < 80 cm tall. Rhizome is woody with a < 3.5 mm diameter. Flowers are green, maturing to pale brown and borne in overlapping spikes in inflorescences in spring-early summer. Seed is a < 2 x 1.5 mm, yellow/brown obovoid nut.
What you need to know
To help protect our environment, after the RPMP has been operational for one year, you:
- will not be allowed to breed, distribute, release or sell divided sedge within the Auckland region.
- will not be allowed to plant divided sedge within the Auckland region, unless you are transferring an existing plant on your land to another location within the boundaries of the same property.
- must destroy any divided sedge on land that you occupy if it has been planted in breach of the above rules and you are directed to do so by an authorised person.
Wet shores, marshy areas, brackish habitats, upstream riparian areas, lake margins, wet meadows, tussock communities, irrigation channels, pasture.
Seeds dispersed by water, soil and possibly animal movement. Vegetative spread from rhizomes, dispersed by soil, water and animal movement.
Impact on environment
Forms dense swards, excluding native species and sometimes causing loss of plant zonation across brackish coastal habitats.
Follow up treated areas 3 times per year. Encourage natural regeneration of native plants or replant treated areas where possible after 2-3 treatments to establish dense ground cover and minimise reinvasion.
Method: Dig out.
Plant parts requiring disposal: Seeds and rhizomes.
Disposal options: Remove to greenwaste or landfill if practical.
Biocontrol is currently not available for this species.
Community agrichemical control recommendations
For small infestations: Foliar spray with 15ml glyphosate green per 1L of water.
Basic Growsafe certified:
For medium to large infestations: Foliar spray with 150ml glyphosate green per 10L of water.
Caution: When using any herbicide or pesticide please read the label thoroughly to ensure that all instructions and safety requirements are followed.