Regional Pest Management Plan (RPMP) status
- Kawau — Eradication
- Hauraki Gulf Controlled Area pest — Site-led
- Waitākere Ranges Heritage Area priority status
- Hauraki Gulf Controlled Area Notice pest
Small marsupial with thick, bushy tail. Weighs between 1.4-6.4 kg and can be grey, brown or black in colour.
What you need to know
To help protect our environment:
- You must not breed, distribute, release or sell any possum within the Auckland region.
- In the future, all commercial transport operators moving goods or people to or among Hauraki Gulf islands will need to have a Pest Free Warrant.
- Anyone intending to move a building to or among Hauraki Gulf islands must notify Auckland Council at least 10 working days prior to movement so that an inspection can be arranged.
Forest, shrubland, pasture, orchards, urban areas.
Impact on environment
Preys on invertebrates and native bird eggs and chicks, competes for cavities with cavity-nesting birds. Selective browsing on vegetation can eliminate preferred species, causing altered forest composition and canopy collapse of palatable species. Can act as a vector for bovine TB and compete with livestock for pasture.
If you see a possum on a pest-free island within the Tīkapa Moana/Hauraki Gulf, report it to Auckland Council at email@example.com.